My Books

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Thoughtful Thursday - Becoming Beautiful


It's hard to see beauty in the dark. A lot of it has to do with how badly you want to see it. I think of Helen Keller, who somehow managed to "see" beauty in her darkness by touching, feeling the world around her. Her desire was greater than her disability, and the world blossomed around her.

When we are in a dark place in our lives, it can be difficult to find the motivation to seek beauty. If that's where you are today, remember that darkness is always temporary. Eventually, the sun rises in our hearts and things begin to look differently than they did in the dark. Hold on. Reach out your hand and feel for the beauty that is all around, but is so hard to see in blackness. Open your eyes and look for one thing of beauty, however simple. Is the sun streaming through a window? Are birds singing outside? Do you have sight to see the roof over your head? Does a child laugh nearby? A flower grow in the crack of a sidewalk? Do you smell the aroma of food cooking? All are gifts from the One who loves you.

Let that one thing of beauty penetrate your heart. Look at it or listen to it or touch it with the wonder of a child. Thank God for it. Close your eyes and remember its beauty. Before you know it, you'll be a beautiful butterfly stretching it's wings and flying out of the darkness.

What's one beautiful thing you can see from where you sit?

Linda

3 comments:

  1. The first thing I see is a picture of my late "bestest" friend and me. It's actually two beautiful memories as it was taken on my husband's and my 50th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Navajo baby cradle. The beauty of my culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty, I love that. Wish I could see it. Miss you guys.

      Delete