My Books

Monday, February 29, 2016

My Writing Space

I thought I'd tell you about my writing space on this Me Monday. It's nothing special, but I spend a lot of time here.

My writing space

I write on my Dell Latitude laptop sitting on my comfy reclining couch, feet up. Often, one of our two small dogs is snuggled up close beside me. Soft doggy snores are my background music along with the ticking of the clock on the wall and the hum of the refrigerator from the kitchen just a few feet away. I'm one who likes it quiet when I write, even finding music a distraction because I want to sing along.
Kobi, my first writing buddy.

Larkin, my newest writing buddy.

My messy end table.
My end table contains everything I need: A 24-ounce water bottle, which will be refilled at least once during the day. If this picture were taken in the morning it would be a steaming cup of coffee with sugar-free hazelnut creamer instead, but I digress. Also on my table is my Nook,  Kleenex, hand lotion, phone (both landline and cell), my Bible, an emery board, a tooth flosser, writing utensils (mechanical pencil and ball point pen, as well as a highlighter) and sometimes a hard copy of a chapter or two of a manuscript I'm working on. Oh, and my book lists journal where I write down books I've read. I try to keep everything I could possibly need within arm's reach so I have no excuse to get up until I've finished my writing for the day. I'm a master at procrastination and could easily wander from my spot for any little reason, so this is an exercise in discipline. It does nothing, however, for my need for physical exercise. Sigh.

I also keep a fleecy blanket close-by because my feet tend to get cold and I like to wrap them up in said blanket. Plus, the dogs like laying on it when it's not in use.

Cold feet.
Speaking of feet, just feet away is another couch, where I lay down when writer's block hits. So if you should happen to walk in on me, just assume I'm writing, not sleeping. When I get stuck in my story and can't figure out how to move forward, it helps to relax my mind. As soon as I close my eyes, new ideas start popping in. That's when I know it's time to get up and start typing again.

My Create heart
This is one of my favorite items on my end table that I failed to mention. My "Create" heart has a chime inside it, so when I pick it up it makes a beautiful sound. It inspires and motivates me to keep on keeping on.

My writing space magically turns into my evening TV watching and crocheting spot when my husband comes home. Honestly, it's my favorite place in the whole world, no matter how it's used. It's so comfortable and it's where I feel most at home.

Do you have a favorite place in your house? What do you use it for? Let me hear from you in the comments.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment