My Books

Monday, August 24, 2015

I'm a Thrifter

I am a thrift store junkie. Not a recovering one either. I fully intend to stay that way.

I didn't discover thrifting until my twenties. My bestie, Myra, and I loved what we called junk stores. There weren't a lot of thrift stores in those days, but there were some good, cheap places like Pic N Save and TG&Y, the equivalents of today's dollar stores. But they didn't carry clothes. And we liked cute clothes. Did I mention we were gals in our twenties? What we didn't like was the prices of said cute clothes. A dilemma, for us financially challenged girls.

Then along came Savers and changed our lives.


We had shopped Goodwill and Salvation Army, but they just didn't carry the cute stuff. It all seemed too old and too used. We wanted to be thrifty, not frumpy. Savers to the rescue! Racks and racks of clothes, all sorted by color, opened our eyes to the wonders of thrifting. Sure, you have to go through the racks to find the really cute stuff, but that's part of the fun. It's like a treasure hunt! And as if that weren't joy enough, every day there is a special deal of some kind, usually a particular color of tag that is half off.

We shopped. We bought. We came back again and again. We got twice the wardrobe for half the price or less. Not only that, Savers also carries fashion accessories, housewares, books, and toys. One stop shopping.

I must admit I love it when someone tells me they love my outfit. I'm a touch vain that way, as are most folks, from what I can tell. But the real fun for me is to tell them where I bought it and what a bargain it was. Their eyes widen and their voices go up three notches. "You're kidding!"
Uh, no. I'm not.

Seriously, there's no reason to go broke just to dress fashionably. So I'm forever a thift store junkie and proud of it.

Do you thrift? Give a shout-out to your favorite thrift store.

Linda

3 comments:

  1. We went to the Goodwill here just last weekend and it is WAY better than our Savers...er, Value Village! You'll have to stop by ;)

    ReplyDelete