My Books

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Never Fear Aging

I love this New Living Translation of Isaiah 46:4. So many people fear getting old. There are so many questions that can accompany aging. Will I have enough money? Will I be lonely? Will I be able to care for myself? Will anyone visit me? Will I have pain and bad health?

This verse puts all those fears to rest. We don't have to worry about our old age because God is going there with us. He'll take care of us and even carry us along and save us. Has God been faithful to you in your younger years? Do you have stories of Him providing for you in ways you didn't expect?


I remember when I was pregnant with my second child and going through a divorce. I had many worries and concerns. Where would I live? How would I manage two children all by myself? Should I call my estranged husband when I went into labor? Wait until the baby was born? What was the right thing to do? How would I manage financially?

I didn't need to worry about a thing. But I didn't know that then. God had His eye on me and was looking out for me. I lived with my parents to finish out my pregnancy. I went into labor one night and my mom drove me to the hospital. My son was born so fast, we didn't have time to call anyone, including my husband. So I didn't have to wonder what the right thing to do was.

As to where I'd live, a couple from my church "just happened" to have their two-bedroom rental townhouse come available when I needed it. I had prayed for a place that would have a washer and dryer in the unit, which was hard to come by in my price range. But I knew it would be difficult to haul a laundry basket, a 3-year-old, and a newborn to a laundry facility. The townhouse, which was right across the street from my church, had a stacked washer and dryer. They went down on the price a bit so I could afford it. Another blessing from God.

I feared I couldn't manage two children on my own because my first baby had been so fussy as an infant that I couldn't even put her down. She wouldn't sit in an infant seat or play on the floor. I prayed for an easy baby this time and that's exactly what I got. My new baby boy was content to lie on the floor and watch the ceiling fan, laughing and cooing as if I'd bought him a terrific toy. He was a joy.

I share these things so you'll see how faithful God is. He knows our needs and has more resources at His disposal than we can even imagine. He's always working things out for our good. Oh, and by the way, that baby boy? He turns 29 today and he's still a joy to me.

Tyler and me on Mother's Day, 2014

So aging? No sweat. God's got this. Isaiah knew what he was talking about.

What fears do you have? Have you found God to be faithful in the past?

Linda

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You sure turned out great for being such a stinker as a baby! You're one of the greatest joys in my life. Love you. <3

      Delete