My Books

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

My Wedding Anniversary

Today is my twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. Yep. Twenty-five years (and fifty pounds) ago I said, "I do" to this wonderful man, Rollin Carlblom. Doesn't he look fun? Well, he is!

My Rollin
As a matter of fact, he's so fun that he coined the phrase "fun faces" for pictures where people look really happy and like they're having fun. Here's a picture of us from 2012 with our fun faces on. We were on a sunset cruise in Hawaii with some of our dearest friends, Ron and Janet.
Hawaii Vacation, 2012
One of the best things about Rollin is that not only is he super fun, but he's also a hard worker. Seriously, early on in our marriage I had to begin the process of teaching him how to relax. He was always working on something. He has successfully owned and operated his own computer consulting business for most of our marriage and provided for our family faithfully and without complaint. This allowed me to live the dream of staying home with our children and launch a writing career, neither of which supplements our income with any regularity. Most years he has been the sole bread-winner. Other years we can go out to eat a time or two on my writing income. Yeah, writing isn't the glamorous job it appears to some. He's an honorable man who cares for his family. Did I mention he doesn't even complain about it? That's just the kind of guy he is. 

When we married back in 1991, I had two kids, ages seven and four, from a previous marriage. Rollin loved those kids like his own. Then, a year later, he adopted them and gave them his name. On their adoption day, his eyes filled with tears and he told me, "I didn't think I could love them any more than I did, but somehow I do now that they're really mine." He's been their dad, completely, and we added one more to the mix five years later.
Adoption Day
Above all, Rollin loves his family and his God, not necessarily in that order. Both are at the top of my list for most important qualities in a husband. He's a great example of how to walk with God in everyday life, in his everyday dealings, both at work and at home. His faith dictates his conduct. And though his work is super important to him, he always makes time for his family. He never missed a kid's concert, birthday party, or other important event. He's always there for me, even when my introverted, independent self doesn't know that I need a strong shoulder to lean on. But when I do lean on him, it's a relief. And just to know that he's there no matter what? Well, that's pure gold. And it's not just our immediate family he cares for. He also tenderly helps my aging mom and so many others in our church family. He's a fabulous grandpa to our seven grandkids. He can fix anything and does so with a loving, servant heart.
Rollin with grandson, Solomon.
So today I honor my husband, the great love of my life, my best friend, my spiritual leader, and fellow adventurer. We've been on lots of vacations to fabulous places and there's no one else I'd rather share those special times or my life with than this kind, loving, faithful, fun man. Happy anniversary, Hon. I'd do it all over again. 

Linda





5 comments:

  1. This is SOOOOOO good <3 Congratulations! You are such great role models for us and I am proud to call you both mine! We CANNOT wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. We're proud to call you ours, too! See you in 3 weeks! Yay! Love you.

      Delete
  2. And geez, Solomon looks just like...Solomon! It's so funny to me how he is just his very own (Kevin) looking self. With any of the other boys, we'd be having to calculate what year it was to figure out what boy it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there's no mistaking Solomon. He's his own special brand. Can't wait to hug his soft self!

      Delete
  3. He's not only a great husband, father, grandfather, and friend, etc., he's also the best computer repairman I've ever had!!

    ReplyDelete