My Books

Monday, January 11, 2016

My First Crocheting Project

OK, folks. If you're following along, you'll remember I posted Friday that I really wanted to learn to crochet. I went straight-away to buy myself some crochet hooks at Walmart because probably whatever I make will be a suitable fashion statement for someone who shops there. I admit, I didn't even wait to hear from you crocheting pros as to what size hook I should buy. I bought a 3-pack with 5.75mm, 6.5 mm, and 10mm hooks. That's enough math for today.

My crochet hooks
I had enough yarn at home already from previously abandoned projects that I didn't need to buy any. I chose a minty green from my yarn bag and googled "how to crochet," then watched a couple YouTube videos to show me how to get started. It looked vaguely familiar because of kind-hearted souls who have taught me in the past. I decided to use the biggest hook I bought (10mm) figuring a bigger hook might help me keep my stitches looser and be better for learning. I sort of equated it to buying the big, chunky crayons for toddlers before getting them the elegant, slimmer style for more dextrous older children.

So off I went. I made a long tail of foundational chain stitches, then figured out how to turn it and start the next row. I was so uncoordinated that I may as well have been crocheting with my feet. Seriously, I couldn't come up with a good way to hold the hook or keep the yarn in the right place. Some of the sites offered ideas on how they do it, but went on to say there's no right way to hold your hook. You just have to do what feels right you. Nothing felt right. So I kept practicing, all thumbs, or toes in my case. Lo and behold, it started getting easier. After a couple hours, I was getting a bit of a rhythm to making my stitches. Glory! After I felt like I had a bit of a knack for it, I stopped, unraveled it all and started again. This time it went even better. I was crocheting!

Now, mind you, my crocheting doesn't look beautiful like most of my friends'. Not yet. But it will. After one more round of practice, I unraveled again and decided I may as well practice on something I can actually use. I decided to make myself a throw blanket. It will consist of lots of colors that I already have in my yarn bag. It won't have any fancy stitches and will probably have plenty of mistakes in it. But it will be mine and will show that I didn't give up. I can learn new things even at age 56-and-a-half. Imagine that! So far my blankie only looks like a curly snake, about an inch-and-a-half wide and around four feet long. I spent about two hours working on it last night to get that far. But doggone it, I've started, which is an accomplishment in itself.

My yarn bag
Most of the people I've talked to have said to start on a small project. I respect that and see the logic in it. But I've never been one to start small. Most people also say that when you begin a writing career, you should start out writing articles before books. I didn't listen to them either. I write from my heart and if my heart holds a full-sized book, that's what comes out. Same with my other projects, I guess. I want a blanket. I don't want to mark time by crocheting purses, hats, or potholders, though all are worthy projects. I'm crocheting what my heart desires, and that's a blanket. I will post pictures when I'm finished. In the meantime, here's what it looks like today.

The beginnings of a blanket
So there's all you never wanted to know about my crocheting and were afraid to ask. I promise I won't post about it again until I finish that blanket. :)

Let me see a project (crocheting or something totally different) you're working on. Post a picture in the comments.

Linda

3 comments:

  1. Linda, I've been wanting to learn to crochet, too. My grandmother started teaching me when I was a little girl, but I never pursued it. I'm eager to follow your progress. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you! It looks great so far! That looks like a great plane ride activity ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing. I'll probably bring it along just to show you my progress. I've added a hot pink section to it now. Looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete