My Books

Monday, October 12, 2015

My Sister, My Friend

Happy Me Monday! Last week I wrote about my older brother and told you I am the youngest of three children. So this week I thought I'd give equal time to my sister, Marsha.

Marsha is two-and-a-half years older than me and has been my best friend, playmate, and fellow dreamer since my birth. When we were young, my mom made all our clothes and we often had matching dresses, which we loved. Some people thought we were twins, and some still do to this day. We look a lot alike. So alike, in fact, that sometimes when I look through family pictures I have to look closely to see if the person pictured is me or her. Weird.

Linda and Marsha
Anyway, the thing Marsha and I have always been best at is laughing. Sure, we have other talents like writing and falling down, but the thing we've consistently been good at throughout our lives is laughing, usually at nothing. As children, my dad would get exasperated with us at supper as we giggled non-stop. He used his fork to tap our plates to try to get us to straighten up. Nothing doing. We simply couldn't stop. Or we'd stop long enough to put a bite of food in our mouths and explode into laughter again, spitting food across the table. I can't even imagine how the rest of the family stood us.

To this day, our mother gets nervous when we sit together in church. Who knows what could happen? We're especially dangerous during quiet moments of meditation or communion services. Why is everything so blasted funny in serious moments? But I don't think God minds. I thing he has a great sense of humor and loves to see His kids laughing, even at the communion table.

Marsha and I have a special propensity for falling down. I remember one of the times I fell as an older child, maybe twelve or thirteen. I had just put on my PJs and ran down the hallway of our home. Somehow, my feet got entangled in my nightgown and down I went. I laughed so hard I couldn't get up for a few minutes. Thus began our career of falling, which we've excelled at more and more as we've hit middle age. I'd post pictures, but they're a bit too graphic.

The other thing Marsha and I have in common (besides our entire introverted personalities), is that we're both published writers. Just search Amazon under Marsha Crockett and you'll see her awesome books. She writes grown-up, thought-provoking, Christian nonfiction books. I write frivolous, funny, light-hearted kids books. But we both do it for the glory of God, which is one of the things I love most about God. He lets us be ourselves as we serve Him.

So that's a glimpse of my sister and me. She is one of my life's greatest, sweetest, funnest (is that a word?) blessings and I'm forever thankful to God that He put us together.

Do you have a sister? Tell me about her in the comments. 

Linda



5 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of women with sisters! I don't have any. ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Andrea. :( But you do have some writing sisters who wouldn't trade you for all the books in the world. And that's saying something!

      Delete
  2. What a fun post, Linda! How neat that you have a sister to share life with. I'm an only child, and I've always wished for a sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a dear sister you'd be, Jean! I'll claim you as mine! :)

      Delete