My Books

Monday, October 19, 2015

I'm a Sunday School Teacher

Happy Me Monday! Today's tidbit about me is that I'm a Sunday school teacher and have been for years.


For as long as I can remember, I've loved Sunday school and church. I think much of it has to do with the sense of belonging I felt there from my earliest memory. It grew my mustard seed faith into something big enough to form a solid foundation for my life.

As I grew into adulthood, I wanted others to experience what I did and to come to know Jesus, so I started teaching Sunday school classes. I began by teaching young children. But after several years of that, I learned that, though I loved kids and I loved teaching, I didn't love them together. I took a more administrative role for a while as my church's Sunday school superintendent, which involved lining up teachers, purchasing supplies, and planning events. But I missed teaching.

Later, I started teaching a young adult class and loved it. Or more accurately, I loved them, my students. But eventually, our numbers dwindled and our class began taking in older adults. Today I teach a class of women who are roughly my age or older. It's a great group and our faith is deepening. I'm still Sunday school superintendent as well, organizing and leading the teaching arm of our church.

So what's the point? Only that teaching, in one way or another, is a big part of my life. I love teaching because I learn more that way than by sitting in a class. My faith is strengthened by the things I study and share with my class. But I can't teach on just any topic. I have to teach on something that I'm passionate about. I'm more passionate about my love for Jesus than about anything else. Why? Because He's made such a difference in my life. And when I'm passionate about something I want to share it with others.

What are you passionate about? Do you like teaching about it? Sound off in the comments.

Linda

2 comments:

  1. I'm passionate about the arts. I taught general music in elementary school for twelve years, and I attend concerts, visit museums, and blog about creativity on ARHtisticLicense.com.

    ReplyDelete