My Books

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A Bit of Our Heart


I know the above piece of advice is true. It's even true when I observe someone else giving a bit of their heart instead of a piece of their mind. I saw this principle in action at our local dollar store a while back.

An elderly woman was at the front of the line. She was slow of movement and slow of mind. She didn't hear well, so the exchange between her and the cashier was loud enough for everyone to hear.
When told the total amount due, she fished around in her purse for her wallet. Finally producing it, she slowly counted out every coin, then got confused and asked, "How much was it?" The kind worker told her again and helped her count her money.

The lady in line behind the old woman started sighing and tapping her foot. She wasn't seeing the beauty in this. Maybe she had someplace she was late to. Or she had to do her shopping after a long, tiring day. But it was evident her patience was wearing thin.

Finally, the woman in the front finished her transaction and the cashier smiled and wished her a good day. She thanked the next lady in line for her patience and rung her items up quickly, generously gifting her with a warm smile as well. The woman hustled off to her car with her goods.

It was my turn. I thanked the checker for being so kind to the older customer.

She smiled and shook her head. "I just try to remember that someday that will be me. How will I want to be treated?"

I agreed. "And I bet it will come faster than any of us think."

That cashier could have been impatient with the older woman. Or she could have given the next customer a piece of her mind for her impatience toward the elderly. Instead, she gave them both a piece of her heart.

It's all in the way we look at the world around us. What can we do to make our little corner of the world a nicer place? Be generous with your heart. A smile, a kind deed, a bit of understanding goes a long way to brightening not only your own heart, but the hearts of others.

Now that's timeless on this Timeless Tuesday.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment