My Books

Monday, November 23, 2015

I Play the Flute

Happy Me Monday on Parenting With a Smile. I bet you didn't know that I play the flute. I started playing it when I was in fourth grade. I was in the school band from then clear through high school. I played the piccolo in my high school marching band and flute for the concert season. Being involved in music all those years was probably one of the highlights of my growing up years. I loved it.

I hadn't played the flute for many years until recently. My high school celebrated its fiftieth anniversary and organized several events in which alumni could participate. One of them was marching in the band again at a football game. My friend, Becky, who was also in the band asked me if I wanted to go. She even had a piccolo I could borrow. So we went and relived our glory days and had a wonderful time. See?
Becky and I at our band reunion.
I guess playing an instrument must be one of those things you never forget how to do, sort of like riding a bike. It felt so good to make music again that soon I was searching Craig's List for a used fIute. I found one and had a few repairs made on it. Next thing you know I was playing it in a trio at church.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed playing my flute again after all those years. Which makes me wonder, what else have I quit doing that I enjoyed in my younger days? What's stopping me from picking them back up?

Do or did you play an instrument? Is there an hobby you used to enjoy that you no longer do? What's keeping you from trying it again? Sound off in the comments.

Linda

2 comments:

  1. Linda, I played the flute in HS concert band and piccolo in the marching band. Best years of my life. I haven't played for a long time, and I DO wish that I hadn't given it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It had been over 35 years since I had played, Jean. It's not too late! :)

    ReplyDelete